10.04.2010

Who will I marry Mom????

A question that started with my 4 year old daughter the other day while driving in the car. Why in the world is this a major concern? I'm not real sure, but she was intent on finding out what she needed to look for. For a while now, when all my little nephew and nieces get together, they are always pretending who the Dad and Mom are, and who's married to each other... but the other day, after my MONTHS of drilling into her head, "you can't marry Thomas, Nate, or Seth... they are your cousins".... Finally set in her head, and panic started.. If I can't marry them, then who do I marry?? This is my conversation with my daughter while driving in the car:

Kelli: "mom turn the music off, I have to ask you a question."

*I turn off the music
Me: "whats up Kelli?"

Kelli: "so, if I cant marry my family, who am I going to marry?"

Me: "well, I dont know. You probably will meet him when you're going to school with you get older, like in college or something"

Kelli: "so he'll be my boyfriend? Like forever?"

Me: "yeah, but you shouldn't have a boyfriend til you're ready to get married. That way you can date and find who you want to marry"

Kelli: "what should I look for when I'm dating???"

Me: "He needs to be nice, go to church, funny, cute, smart... (and while i'm thinking of more things to say, and before I could say anything else, she says..)

Kelli: DANG! Sa-rissa (my SIL: Larissa) is SOO lucky, she got to marry Scott and he's all those things!!!




It was so cute, and the only thing I could think of to say was;

"Your RIGHT Kelli, Larissa is so lucky to have met and married your Uncle Scott."

She just nodded her head and said.... "well, I better start dating then to find another one like him...."

So here is to your Scott. You've always been such a great brother and willing to help family and friends out whenever its needed; Whether its done silently without anyone knowing, or ripping up carpet to lay wood floors down while on your vacations, or re-vamping a barn for your friends wedding. You are such a great example that even a 4 year old can see that you are something special. I'm so lucky to have you as my oldest brother, and your example I know has been so easy for the rest of your brothers to follow, since I'm lucky to have 4 brothers that are so willing to give, and to serve just like you. Thanks for your example, I'm so happy that Kelli recognizes such great qualities at such a young age, and has you and the other uncles to look to for love and guidance
Love you Scott. xoxo

1 comment:

Amy said...

That is the single most adorable conversation I have ever heard! I am so proud of you for documenting it. She is right. I wanted to marry someone like Scott too. I use to stay at Scott and Larissa's and I would say I want a marriage just like Scott and Larissa. Scott is so self-less, he always gives Larissa the last bite of anything they are sharing, he always talks about her like she is a queen, and I never heard them argue. They were my blue print for my marriage and you know what it WORKED!!! I got my Scott. Love the story. Love you!!