10.12.2010

Good Night Sweetheart

Many of you know that I recently lost my Grandma. She fell a few months ago and broke her hip and we all knew that this was going to be the end. It was her first and only surgery in her life. She was cared for at Manor Care and they took such great care for her, and grew to have such a love her for. Which would of been hard to not love her.

She was the kindest, funniest, most clever, and endearing person. She loved to sew, paint, cook, and bake anything and everything. There are so many memories, vacations, holidays, and those intense game nights that we will all cherish, and hopefully remember forever. She was always so loving and so kind, and she will truly be missed.

You know, most people want to write all these amazing paragraphs about their loved ones, and are so poetic about things, but I'm not really that type. I'm more of a, straight to the point kind of person--- but for some reason, I can't think of anything to write about my grandma. All I can think is... how things wont be the same. I know the last 5 years she was going down hill and it was a slow "wearing out" process, but she just had so many good qualities and was such an example and was so balanced in her life that its hard to see someone end up at the point of not being able to care for herself.

But it just wont be the same to not have her around... to hear my Grandpa say his funny and weird saying to her, or to have her try and do the jitter bug in the middle of the room, or teach me the Charleston. Or to have to carry her purse around her own house so that no one would steal it. She was always dressed to kill and always had on her red lip stick. She always carried her money around in her envelopes and had my grandpa on a tight budget so she could buy all her grand children, and great grand children Christmas presents at the end of every year. Her and my Grandpa were such an amazing couple to be around. He talked to her, and will now talk about her with such love you can feel it in the air, and you can see it in his eyes... you dont come across that kind of love often. They were always holding hands, and looking out for one another. Towards the end of her life, she wasn't 'aware' about things that were going on around her, but I went there, on a Thurday afternoon, with my mom and Grandpa, and while my mom was working things out with the insurance, I sat in the room with my Grandparents. He just sat and sang songs to her, and sang 'their' song to her, and her eyes lit up with joy and she would mouth the words with him, while he sang to her. "I'll be seein'g you.... in all the old... familier places..." etc etc.. To see my Grandpa kneel at her bedside for hours, singing, and talking to her about "old times" while he's in his mid 80's... that couldn't of been comfortable, but he wanted to be as close and he could be to her. My Grandpa whispered to her, "its ok Sally, you can go" and her reply would be, "I can't leave you alone." It was so sweet. They loved eachother, and supported each other.. and were there with each other through so many trails, holding hands.



The funeral we held for her was amazing! My sister and 3 other cousins did such a great job, talking about memories, her past, and the gospel. I was a mess through the whole funeral... just when you think there aren't any tears left.. i surprise myself... all my cousins and our children got up and sang.."Families Can Be Together Forever" which I'm pretty sure I said "I have a family............" and I couldn't say anything word. The closing song, was this song called, "good night sweet heart" --- no not the one from Top Gun. and and that point, Danny leaned over and said with tears in his eyes.."this is cruel and unusual punishment." It was the sweetest song, and it was one of my Grandpa's picks, and favorite songs between them. There wasn't a dry eye in the church, and I'm so grateful for everyone who came and supported our family. There were so many family friends there, it just made it that much more special.




It was such a great day, and such a great way to remember some one.. thats what I love about the church, is focusing on the life that was lived and not the death! Its such a great way for everyone to get together and tell stories and share their memories.

Love you Grandma...

No comments: